Sunday, July 17, 2005

My Masterpiece! An Heirloom Crocheted Bedspread

This is the work I am most proud of. It took seven years - on and off - to crochet in a nice cotton antique white. Each square is 5" and the whole thing is composed of 342 squares which fits a Queen-size bed (amazing I'm still not working on it!!) Actually, when this was started, it wasn't immediately evident that it was a pattern for a TWIN SIZE, so the darned thing continued to grow! Fortunately for me, we didn't have the king-size bed very long! I love this pattern because it amazes me that something that started out round could end up in a nice, perfect square. Bone dry, it weighs 35 pounds, but I've never tried weighing it while wet!

Actually, this was completed probably around 1979, but I have been using it (and sleeping under it) every night since. Hope you can tell how very proud I am of this!



A picture of the double-knotted fringe.

Posted by Picasa
The whole thing on the bed - sorry it's a bit fuzzy, but my little camera can be hard to focus. Hopefully, you get the idea!

No comments: