Monday, January 16, 2006

Lace-Weight Yarn - Can be a Nightmare!

Ok - started on my Pacific NW Shawl last night after finishing my hand-dyed socks (yes, a set of two!). Since I've never knit one like this before, was quite a trial, but managed to get going after a few false starts, and was getting thrilled with the results. Got past the initial wobbly center by ripping and restarting, and so on, up to the first pattern - the seagulls. Ok. Going good now . . . . and then . . . . no yarn. Mind you, this was a ball of 880 yards that we dyed last August - beautiful light and lighter blue. And suddenly! Looked like it had just been cut! Ok. So, I ripped back to the beginning of the row, tied back on and started knitting. A couple more rows later, the same thing. Picked up the ball, looked closely, and saw it was like it had been stabbed with a knife! I ripped off yards and yards, about eight more breaks worth, and finally figured I'd found the last of it. Happily knitted some more - more seagulls - and another break. Along the way, I'd also noticed several spots where the yarn was barely holding together. Sheesh! It is now about three inches long from the beginning, and has about four knots! I picked up the ball and couldn't see any more breaks, but decided it was time to get tough. Began hand-winding a ball of the stuff and found two more breaks in it, although quite a ways down. So, have given up for the evening and am trying to decide whether to start over with the other identically dyed ball, or press on with what I have and hope that the knots won't be too obvious.

Guess that decision will be made tomorrow nite . . . .

1 comment:

Gwen said...

I can't imagine what happened. It isn't like you have animals that could have gotten into it. I was there when you wound it up, I have no idea what happened. If you have enough yarn, I'd go ahead with the second skein and then go back to the first if you run out.

By the way, I need pictures if you're up that far...