Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Well - Welts!

No, not Lawrence Welts (Ugh, bad joke).

Yes, not only do I now know what welts are, I've even finished knitting a couple and have one more to go before my #1 dpns become entirely too small. Here's what we have so far:

The largest one is the back of the sweater, top one is the left-hand side, and bottom still being worked is the right side. Once I finish this one, I will knit across all three, adding stitches until there are a miraculous 410 stitches total. Apparently, this is what is meant by "split garter welts."

Then the real fun begins with the patterned stitches. Thank goodness the body of the sweater is knitted flat!






It will include seed stitch initials, definition ridges, starfish and diamond motifs, two-stitch seed seam stitches, gussets, unshaped neckline, shoulder straps, and a ribbed neckband. Whew! Now - considering it's taken me 3 days to knit what I have so far, any bets on how long it will be before this is finished? I'm guessing if I get 10 rows finished a day . . . . . . . it will be completed sometime just near retirement! (But it will still be just as pretty!)


1 comment:

Gwen said...

Well, don't ever figure out how long it will take you to knit. Teri tried that with a lace shawl she was knitting 3 years ago and although at the time was making great progress, once she figured out the actual number of hours it would take, she couldn't do more than 1 row a month or less for years. She recently decided to just bind it off and make it into a table doily thing